Ingredients for Treacle Tart:
For the Pastry:
- 225g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 110g butter, chilled, diced
- 1 medium free-range egg, lightly beaten
For the Filling:
- 450g golden syrup
- 85g fresh breadcrumbs
- generous pinch ground ginger
- 1 lemon, zest, finely grated and 2 tbsp of the juice
- For the pastry, in a bowl, rub the butter into the flour with your fingers until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Mix in the egg with a knife, then knead on a clean, lightly dusted work surface to form a smooth dough.
- Use the dough to line a 23cm loose-bottomed tart tin, prick the base all over with a fork and leave to rest in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190C.
- Line the pastry with parchment paper and weigh down with rice or ceramic baking beans.
- Bake the pastry blind for 10-15 minutes, allow to cool for a few minutes before removing the paper and rice or beans and return the pastry case to the oven for a few minutes more, until light golden-brown.
- For the filling, mix together the filling ingredients in a bowl and pour into the pastry case.
- Return to the oven and bake for about 30 minutes.
Serve hot or cold with clotted cream. double cream, or my favourite .. ice cream!