Fancy a little zesty sweetness in your life this weekend?
This is one easy Lemon Meringue Pie, courtesy of the lovely Mary Berry! I love Mary Berry’s recipes, they are always so easy to follow and I would return to her cook books time and time again! But be warned, you’ll be needing plenty of eggs!
For the pastry, you will need:
- 225g plain flour
- 175g butter
- 45g icing sugar
- 1 large free-range egg, beaten
For the lemon filling, you will need:
- 6 lemons, zest and juice
- 65g cornflour
- 250g caster sugar
- 6 free-range egg yolks
For the meringue topping, you will need:
- 4 free-range egg whites
- 225g caster sugar
- 2 tsp cornflour
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
- First you’ll need to make the pastry by measuring the flour and butter into a food processor and blend together until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the icing sugar, egg and one tablespoon of water and whizz again until combined to a ball.
- Tip the pastry onto a work surface and roll out to a 3mm thickness. Use the rolling pin to lift the pastry up and transfer it to line a 23cm/9in loose-bottomed flan tin. Be careful not to stretch the pastry as you tuck it into the corners.
- Cover in cling film and place in the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes.
- Then, take the pastry-lined tin out of the fridge and trim the excess pastry.
- Press the top edge of the pastry so that it stands slightly higher than the top of the tin and then line the pastry case with parchment and fill with baking beans.
- Bake for about 15 minutes then remove the beans and parchment and return to the oven for a further five minutes.
- Remove from the oven and reduce the temperature to 170C/340F/Gas 3½.
- For the zesty lemon filling – mix the lemon zest and juice with the cornflour and stir to form a smooth paste.
- Measure 450ml of water into a pan and bring to the boil.
- Add the lemon cornflour mixture to the hot water and stir over the heat until the mixture has thickened, then remove from the heat.
- In a bowl mix together the sugar and egg yolks and carefully whisk into the lemon mixture in the pan.
- Stir over a medium heat until thickened and then set aside for a few minutes before pouring into the baked pastry case.
- For the meringue, whisk the egg whites in a free-standing mixer until soft peaks form when the whisk is removed.
- Add the caster sugar a little at a time, still whisking until the meringue is stiff and glossy.
- Add the cornflour and whisk again.
- Spoon on top of the filled pastry case and spread the meringue to completely cover the lemon filling. Then create a swirl on the top of the meringue, or whatever design takes your fancy!
- Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes until the filling is completely set and the meringue is lightly golden and crisp.
And there you have it! This can be served warm or cold, equally are just as yummy! It’s definitely a winning dessert, and the zesty taste from the lemons is a perfect way to cleanse the pallet!