Ingredients, which makes an A4 dish approximately 2/3 inches deep :
- 4-5 large apples
- 2 tbsp warm water
- 20g of sugar
- 1 tsp of cinnamon (or you could use apple pie spice!)
- 450g of plain flour
- 225g of white sugar
- 140g of butter
- With the apples – peel, core and slice enough to fill half the dish.
- Chop apples into pieces just shy of inch cubes and add 2tbsp of warm water, 20g of sugar and either the cinnamon or apple pie spice. Mix together with hands making sure to evenly coat all the apples with the different ingredients.
- For the Crumble – add flour, sugar and butter in a bowl, mixing together by rubbing the ingredients into a crumb like consistency.
- Pour crumbs over apples spreading evenly then gently compact.
- Pop in the oven and cook for about 45min at 180 degrees.
And there you have it, it really is that simple!
Serve with whatever accompaniment takes your fancy – whether its warm custard, or a few scoops of ice-cream! Just remember the crumble will be piping hot when it comes out of the oven, so leave to stand for a few minutes before digging in! The cinnamon gives it a really nice edge, and all works so well together with the sweetness of the crumble base.
Preserve the life of your crumble by keeping it refrigerated – it tastes just as good from cold, or even better when it has been warmed up in the microwave for a few minutes. You would never know that it had been made days before!