After making some more homemade Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream, I found myself with 8 left over egg whites. What better way to use them, then to make this very Summer Berry Pavlova. Perfect for sharing and in keeping with the springtime months, this dessert is simple to make and even simpler to demolish!
Ingredients, for the Meringue:
- 4 egg whites
- 250g caster sugar
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Ingredients, for the Topping:
- 200g of frozen mixed berry fruits
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- 350ml double cream
- berry coulis
- Heat oven to 130C (fan).
- Using a pencil, mark out the circumference of a dinner plate on a large sheet of greaseproof paper.
- Whisk the egg whites with a hand mixer until they form stiff peaks, then whisk in the sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, until the meringue looks glossy.
- Whisk in the vinegar, cornflour and vanilla.
- Spread the meringue inside the circle, creating a crater by making the sides a little higher than the middle.
- Bake for 1 hr, then turn off the heat and let the Pavlova cool completely inside the oven.
- When the meringue is cool, whip the cream and the icing sugar together and spread it over the meringue, filling in the little crater.
- Scatter the fruit over the cream and then drizzle the berry coulis over the top as decoration and extra flavour.
The meringue for me turned out perfectly, with a soft, gooey centre and a nice crisp outer edge. Pavlova just makes me so happy. When I think of a good ol’ Pavlova, I think of summer, family, gatherings with friends and lingering afternoon BBQ’s! It’s also quick and simple to make and requires only 5 ingredients – so beautiful in it’s simplicity. So why not whip up one of these fruity delights this weekend, and impress your friends and family with this sweet dessert!
Do you love Pavlova?
What would be some of your fruity favourites?
Did you know you can also find me on: