When we went to Australia back in September, I found I ate so much Banana Bread – why? – I’m not entirely sure, it’s not something I have ever had the urge to eat a lot of in the UK! But after having serious Holiday Blues, I decided it was time to try making some for myself, and I certainly wasn’t disappointed! Not only is Banana Bread incredibly scrummy, fluffy, moist, and infused with sweet banana flavour, it’s a perfect mid morning snack to fill that little gap of hunger. My finance likes it so much, he’s even renamed it the “Golden Bread” – says it’s all really don’t you think?
With it being such an easy recipe to make, you can’t help but make it early on a Saturday morning in preparation for the weekend ahead. The hardest part is waiting an hour for it to bake as the whole house fills with the sweet smell of baked bananas!
- 285g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 110g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 225g caster sugar
- 2 free-range eggs
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- 85ml buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. I find my KitchenAid does a marvellous job at whacking these together in minutes!
- Add the eggs, mashed bananas, buttermilk and vanilla extract to the butter and sugar mixture and mix well. Finish by folding in the flour mixture.
- Grease a 20cm x 12.5cm/8in x 5in loaf tin and pour the mixture into the tin.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for about an hour, or until well-risen and golden-brown.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the tin for a few minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely before serving.
It may not look the neatest, or the prettiest, but sometimes these things don’t seem to matter – taste conquers all! The brown sugar and ripe bananas make this bread so incredibly moist. Remember with Banana Bread, you want your banana’s mostly brown and practically rotten. Trust me, the bin is not an option for these banana’s – the oven is!
I am in desperate need to make more, because let’s be honest, there is nothing better then a thick slice with a home brewed cup of coffee! Now this is what weekends are made for …
What do you think of Banana Bread? Are you a fan?
It’s almost Friday, so happy weekend lovelies!