I love salted caramel, and so does my fiancé. Which is why when I thought of what I would get him for Valentines Day, I instantly thought of a large jar of homemade salted caramel sauce. As soon as I saw this easy recipe from Sally’s Baking Addiction I just knew I had to try it. Sally’s bakes always have me salivating, and she always makes each recipe easy to follow and understand. I felt I was in good hands!
With a birthday looming, it was baking time for me to supply the office with a celebratory treat. It just so happened it was the same night I made this scrummy sauce, so obviously I needed to try it out for myself with these incredibly chocolatey cupcakes!
- 4tbsp boiling water
- 40g cocoa powder
- 3 eggs
- 175g unsalted butter, softened and cubed
- 165g caster sugar
- 115g self raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
For the Chocolate Icing:
- 60g unsalted butter, melted
- 30g cocoa powder
- 3tbsp milk
- 250g icing sugar
- Line a muffin tin with paper cases. Sift the cocoa powder into a bowl, and pour in the boiling water and mix until it forms a thick paste. Add the remaining cake ingredients as above, and mix with an electric hand whisk (or beat with a wooden spoon).
- Divide the mixture evenly between the 12 paper cases and bake in a pre heated oven for 15-20 minutes at 180C. Make sure they are well risen and to test to make sure they are thoroughly cooked through, insert a skewer and make sure it comes out clean.
- To make the icing, melt the butter and pour into a large bowl. Sift in the cocoa powder, and slowly add the icing sugar until combined. if the icing is too thick, slowly add the milk until it because smooth and a spreadable consistency.
- Pipe the chocolate icing onto each of the cupcakes (you can find my tutorial video here) and decorate with a drizzle of the salted caramel sauce, finishing with a fine layer of grated chocolate.
I’m not usually a great lover of chocolate cake, as I find the sponge can go quite dry. Not these though, they stayed moist for days, and were even appreciated with a strong cup of tea for 11am treats this sunny Monday morning (that’s 4 whole days of chocolatey goodness! – and I say sunny, it was still -1.7C when I left the house this morning!).
The chocolate icing is rich and creamy, and the added drizzle of salted caramel sauce gave them that little something extra. I will definitely be making these again, a slice of chocolate cake always has a place, and this recipe now has a place in my own little cook book!
Did you all have a lovely Valentines Day?
What do you think of these chocolatey cupcakes? Do you like a chocolate sponge?
Do you have any favourite chocolate cake recipes you wish to share?