I know, I know, with less than a week until Christmas the blog should be filled with all sorts of wonderful Christmas bakes, and believe me, I have a few lined up, it just feels strange to post them (let alone bake them) when it doesn’t feel all that “Christmassy!”
They say this year will the mildest Christmas on record, and I’m not entirely surprised. Where I hoped to walk to work in hats and scarves, feeling toasty against the frosted ground, instead, I wear only my (awesome) Christmas jumper and walk with a slight sweat! Gross right!
Anyway, instead today I bring you this incredibly easy, almost spring like dessert. It’s a tray bake, and I love a good tray bake. They are so simple and taste delicious! This recipe was actually a suggestion by my mother who saw the original posted on Facebook (of all places!). The crumbly base makes it a light bite, and the zesty lemon gives a refreshing taste.
Ingredients, for the Crust:
- 40gs butter, melted and cooled, plus more for pan
- 150g digestive biscuits, crumbed
- 50g cup sugar
And for the Filling:
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (3 lemons)
- Preheat oven to 180C degrees.
- Brush a square baking dish with melted butter.
- Crush the biscuits and then add in the sugar and butter, and then stir to mix.
- Press the mixture into the bottom of your prepared dish.
- Bake for 8 to 12 minutes until lightly brown.
- Set aside and cool for about 30 minutes.
To make your Filling:
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and condensed milk.
- Add the lemon juice and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the filling onto cooled crust and carefully spread to edges.
- Bake for about 15 minutes until the top is set.
- Cool in the dish on a rack, before leaving to chill in the fridge for at least an hour before serving.
I was pretty impressed and loved the results of these little slices of lemony goodness; they are portable and easy to eat without a plate and fork. Portability is always a key factor when taking sweet treats to work!
The sweet biscuity base and the citrusy filling seem to compliment each other perfectly. I actually enjoyed them most after dinner, as the refreshing taste almost seemed to “cleanse the pallet”. Be warned though – these are pretty damn moorish and I found it hard to eat just the one slice! I think next time I will just make the pieces bigger .. May be even just slice it in two …
How do you guys feel about citrusy bites in December? Are you a fan or all about the mulled wine and cinnamon spices?