I can’t believe Father’s Day was over a week ago. I felt very luck to spend the afternoon with my dad, and as soon as I knew he was coming I was straight in the kitchen making his favourite shortbread biscuits. But with the summer coming, and fresh fruit stacking the shelves, I thought I would try something a little different by making these scrummy Strawberry Shortbreads.
To make the Shortbread Biscuits:
- 125g butter (unsalted)
- A pinch of salt
- 75g sugar
- 150g flour
- 63g rice flour
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and salt until soft and creamy. If you use salted butter in your baking then you will not need to add the extra salt!
- Add the flours and bring together with your hands to form a stiff dough.
- Roll out the dough onto a floured surface until it is about a 1/2cm in thickness. Then use a round cutter to make your biscuit shapes. The dough should make approximately 16 biscuits.
- Line a tray with greaseproof paper and transfer the round biscuit shapes onto the tray. Prick each round with a fork and bake without fan at 160c for about 10 minutes, until they start to brown slightly on top.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle generously with caster sugar.
- Cool on tray until firm then move to wire rack.
Once the biscuits have completely cooled, chop strawberries into halves and place on one of the shortbread biscuits, so that the flat edge is facing outwards. Then add a generous dollop of double thick cream and voila!
I love shortbread biscuits and I definitely love these strawberry ones! I love the crunch of the biscuit against the soft strawberries and the sweetness of the caster sugar against the cream. The whole combination works really well together and is a perfect pudding for the summer. Strawberries are one of my favourite summertime fruits, so that with shortbread is like an ultimate dessert of mine. It’s a shame my brother helped himself to the remainder of the shortbread biscuits – I would have liked to have had a second helping! But we weren’t short of desserts that day. Whilst baking my little shortbread biscuits, Luke was busy making a Lemon Tart. The Mary Berry recipe is scrummy and a perfect citrusy treat for the summer. Keep an eye out for this easy recipe, which will hit the blog very soon!
What is your favourite strawberry dessert? Do you like Strawberry Shortbread?