I’ve always wanted to have a go at making a Pecan Pie, I love the sweetness and of course the pecan’s themselves, but as it’s only me that likes nuts, so it seems a waste to make a whole pie when it will never get eaten! So I came up with these adorable little Pecan Pie Tarts – perfect for a sweet snack or afternoon treat. They are also so easy to make, which means you can make them again and again whenever you have the craving!
- 170g pack sweet shortcrust pastry (or you can make your own)
- flour, for dusting
- 25g butter, softened
- 35g golden caster sugar
- 60g golden syrup
- 60g maple syrup
- 1 egg, beaten
- a splash of vanilla extract
- 100g pecan halves
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use a small circular cutter to make your tart bases. Use a cupcake tray as your tart base and press each circle of dough into the tray to make a cup. Prick the base with a fork and chill for 30 mins or until firm.
- Heat oven to 190C and remove the tray from the fridge. I find the best thing to do is to use cupcake cases to hold the baking beans in place for the blind baking. You will then need to bake for 10-15 mins until the sides are set. Remove the beans and parchment or cupcake cases and return to the oven for 5-10 mins until the base is set and the pastry is golden.
- Whilst the pastry cases are cooling, beat the butter and sugar together with an electric whisk until light and fluffy. Keep the beaters going and pour in both of the syrups.
- Gradually add the egg, a pinch of salt and the vanilla, then whisk until combined. Stir through the nuts and pour into the tart cases. Bake for 20-30 minutes – the pie’s should be golden brown but the filling should wobble a little in the centre when shaken.
- Leave to cool in the tins before removing and you can serve with whipped cream.
After making these adorable mini Pecan Pie Tarts, I definitely want to have a go at making an actual pie! I mean don’t get me wrong, these teeny tiny tarts are the cutest, and definitely a little different to the traditional, but there is something very satisfying about cutting into a pie and taking a slice for yourself (and if you’re nice and want to share .. then a slice for others!)
I love the sweetness and the almost caramelised texture of the pecans. It’s a very sweet dessert, and that’s saying something from a baker with a very sweet tooth! But it’s not a bad thing, overall they are delicious and I can’t wait to make a few more. They are perfect for just eating yourself, or these cute tarts are a great size to be shared with guests or an after dinner treat.
I even made my own pastry for these scrummy delights. I’ve definitely been experimenting with short crust pastry these past few weeks and I have to admit, I have been happy with the results. Keep a look out for another pastry treat – the Blueberry and Winter Berry Pie which is coming to the blog very soon!
Are you a fan of the Pecan Pie?