Recently I wrote about a scrummy M&M cookie recipe, which then got me thinking about how I would very much like to eat some more! I bought bags of both the plain and peanut M&Ms, but completely forgot about them in the cupboard, until last weekend. I love cookies, they are literally my favourite. I could eat them all day, everyday! There are just so many different types of cookies, you would simple never be bored! (Well, I’d like to think you wouldn’t!)
With a packet of peanut M&M’s, I thought I would try a little experiment by adding peanut butter. I really wasn’t sure how it would turn out, whether is would be too much or too little, but I have to say, I was surprised at how well they turned out. They still have the perfect cookie consistency, but the crunch from the peanuts in the M&Ms, as well as the hint of peanut butter in the dough make them even more delicious!
Love cookies and peanut butter? Well this is the recipe for you!
- 100g butter
- 100g lightly packed brown sugar
- 100g white caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 egg
- 250g self raising flour
- peanut M&M’s
- peanut butter – soft or crunchy, whichever you prefer
- Beat together the sugars, butter and essence until well combined.
- Slowly add the egg and beat again, it may curdle to start with but just beat the mixture for a little longer and it will come back together.
- Add the flour and mix until well combined and a soft dough has formed.
- Bring the dough onto the work surface and roll into a long sausage shape. Then divide into 10 even sections using a knife.
- Line a few baking trays with greaseproof paper and pre-heat the oven to 180C.
- Take the individual sections of the dough and roll into a small ball. Then press your thumb into each cookie and make a large dip.
- Use a teaspoon of peanut butter to fill the dip and bring the dough back into a ball, locking the peanut butter into the centre of the cookie dough.
- Place each cookie onto the tray, making sure you have left plenty of room in-between each cookie as they will expand in the oven .. a lot!
- Firmly press the peanut M&Ms into the top of the cookie dough. You could also add some extra in the mix before shaping, but I sometimes find that this crushes the shells and breaks them into much smaller pieces.
- Pop in the oven for around 10 minutes, or until the cookies have gone a nice golden brown colour. It also depends on how soft you want your cookies, if you prefer more of a crunch I would suggest an extra few minutes in the oven.
And volia! Peanut Butter Cookies!
You can just see the difference in colouring to the middle of the cookie, which is the teaspoon of peanut butter added before baking. It seems to spread amongst the whole cookie, as the peanut taste is apparent throughout. I was surprised at how much I loved the taste, and the crunch from the M&M’s adds a little something different to the norm.
I really enjoyed these cookies and wish I had made a few more, but as they were just an experiment, I thought I would give the remainder of the cookie dough to Luke as he makes some amazingly good cookies himself. It’s almost like having my own Millie’s Cookie’s at home! Loves him <3
What is your favourite type of cookie?