During the weekly shop on Sunday, I thought I would be a little cheeky and sneak a packet of cookies into the shopping trolley. It wasn’t long before Luke had noticed this little purchase, and asked why I wasn’t making my own. Good point right!? So replacing the packaged cookies for a bag of M&M’s (a favourite for both of us) it was back home we went to make these delicious cookies. They really are so easy to make, they don’t require a lot of ingredients and then only need 10 minutes in the oven!
Perfect for a quick Sunday afternoon snack!
- 110g butter
- 100g lightly packed brown sugar
- 100g caster sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 1 egg
- 250g self raising flour
- Beat together both the caster and brown sugar with the butter and vanilla essence until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, lightly whisk the egg and add to the mixture before beating again (it may curdle to start with, just beat a little longer and it will come back together).
- Add the self raising flour, and mix everything together until a soft dough is made. Then add the M&M’s (just remember to keep a few back for yourself!)
Divide the dough into small balls and press lightly onto greased baking sheets. Make sure to leave well apart to accommodate spreading.
- Depending on how big you want your cookies will depend on how many the dough makes. I like mine slightly on the larger size, meaning I can happily make 14 cookies. If you like them more as a light bite, you could quite happily stretch the mixture to make about 28!
- Finally, bake in a fan oven at 180c for about 10 minutes – this is where you will need to judge for yourself how long they need to go in for depending on how you like them! Personally, 8 minutes is amble of time -you want them to have grown in size and have cracked slightly on the top!
- Once you have removed from the oven, allow to firm up for a minute or two, before cooling on a wire rack.
What defines a perfect cookie to you? It’s quite different for everyone I imagine. For me, the cookie has to be soft but crispy around the edges with just the right texture. Also, they must not be flat. These cookies tick all those boxes and to me, these are the perfect M&M cookies. The nice thing about these cookies is that when they are warm, the chocolatey goodness from the M&Ms oozes out and you get a nice crunch from the shells! Mmm ..
Now, storing these cookies shouldn’t be a problem, a small tin will do just fine and will last about 4-5 days! Although if you’re like me, they may not even last long enough to make it to a tin, as these cookies are seriously addictive!
Don’t believe me .. Try them for yourself!
Do you have a favourite cookie recipe? Will you be next to try these delicious rainbow goodies?