I use to make cheesecakes almost every weekend back in the day, they are so quick and easy and taste delicious. There are so many different varieties as well, my favourites being a fruity strawberry cheesecake and the classic chocolate! So when I was asked to make one for the weekend, I have to say, I was a little excited! Not only because I love a good cheesecake, but because I got to try something new!
White chocolate and Maltesers are both favourites of mine, so why not experiment and combine the two together? This cheesecake is easy to make, no need for the oven and is incredibly light and fluffy! Be warned, the flavours are quite rich, so no need for a massive portion! (No matter how much you might like to devour the whole thing!)
- 150g philadelphia cream cheese
- 125g mascarpone cheese
- 150ml double cream
- 300g white chocolate bar.
- Large bag of maltesers
- 250g biscuits e.g. digestives but in this case I used chocolate hobnobs!
- Few knobs of butter
- Crush the biscuits in a large bowl with the end of a rolling pin until completely grounded.
- Melt the butter in either the microwave or on the hob and add to the crumbled biscuits. Stir until well combined. The key is to use the right amount of butter to bind the biscuit together; too little, and it will be really crumbly; too much and it will become soft. I used about 90g of butter for this base – it can also depend a lot on the type of biscuit you use!
- Add the biscuit mixture to a cake tin and pat till flat. Leave to set in the fridge for approximately 30 minutes or even pop in the freezer if you’re short on time.
- Begin melting the chocolate in a glass bowl over a a small pan of hot water on a low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Mix the philadelphia and mascarpone cheese together with a whisk; hand or electric. Once both the ingredients are well combined, add double cream and whisk.
- Finally, add the melted chocolate to the mixture and whisk. The mixture may seem slightly ‘curdled’ but not to worry, just continue whisking.
- Optional – crush half a bag (more or less depending on preference) of Maltesers and add to the mix.
- Spoon the mixture over the cooled and set biscuit base. Return to the fridge to cool for as long as possible, until the topping is set.
- Crush the remaining bag of Maltesers into small pieces and sprinkle over the top of the cheesecake. Or keep them whole if you prefer!
- In the microwave, melt a strip of milk cooking chocolate for about a minute (make sure to keep an eye on this as you could burn the chocolate)
- Using a small spoon, drizzle the chocolate over the creamy cheesecake topping and Maltesers. Pop back in the fridge and leave until the chocolate has hardened.And there you have it! Depending on how big you cut your slices, this recipe should easily serve around 8-10. It’s incredibly simple to make and can be eaten within the hour depending on how fast it sets in the fridge! This is a guaranteed dessert to be loved by all! The textures work really well together as well, what with the crunchy biscuit base, and soft creamy topping!
What do you think? Do you have a favourite type of cheesecake?