I was reading a blog post by the amazing Edibles & Travel the other week and not only did it inspire me to make my own Rocky Road dessert, it also reminded me of my time in Australia. It is such a beautiful country and the time I spent there will be remembered for a lifetime!
The key ingredient to their Rock Road were TimTam biscuits (very jealous – they were literally the best biscuits ever!) Unfortunately, we don’t have the delicious TimTam’s over here (the only way I can describe them to anyone in the UK is that they are kind of like a Penguin biscuit bar, but all round much better!). If they were here, not only would I completely clear the shelves, they would have also been a sure winner to add to the chocolatey mix of the Rocky Road!
I have to admit, I love Rocky Road – its basically the easiest dessert where you can throw in everything and anything that you love! There are so many different recipes out there as well (some definitely more healthier then others) so the list of possibilities to try is endless!
- 1 packet of milk or plain chocolate (whichever you prefer – I ended up using a mixture of both plain and milk chocolate, as well as a sweetener with white chocolate! Not thinking about the calories too much there!)
- 20g of butter
- a handful of small marshmallow (or 2, or 3 …)
- 8-10 crushed Digestive Biscuits
- a pack of Fruit Pastels (optional)
Feel free to add whatever ingredients take your fancy! The great things about Rocky Road is the total mismatch of ingredients that just so happen to be some of your favourite edible treats! (hehe ..)
- Start by melting the butter and chocolate together in a bowl over some hot water.
- Crush the Digestive Biscuits so that there is a range of different size chunks and add to the mix.
- Add a few handfuls of the marshmallows and any additional ingredients to the mix.
- Stir well until everything is covered in chocolate.
- Line a tin with cling film and spoon in the chocolatey goodness mix!
- Allow to set in the fridge for a few hours and chop up when ready to serve.
And there you have it!
The mixture made about 16 chunks which has lasted about 5 days, but I am already getting that craving for some more! I’m definitely still feeling the sugar rush though, so may save this naughty treat for another day!
What ingredients do you add to your Rocky Road?